Heading picture

Heading picture

Friday, May 8, 2015

"For the wages of sin is death..."



I was listening to a podcast this week about parenting. The speaker was explaining why you need to discipline and train your children, and he shared this verse. He was making it clear that “training them in righteousness” is both necessary and urgent. He didn’t yell, cry or repeat himself countless times. He just stated it and let it sink in. He went on to explain that the point of training our children isn’t just so that we can have things the way we want them to be or so that they can impress others with their angelic demeanor. The purpose of training should be to show them their need for a Savior and to help them develop the skill of obedience.

So I’m driving down the busy road. My two boys are buckled up in the back of our minivan watching a movie and snacking on granola bars and I felt this pit. Death. Their death. I can barely bring myself to type those words. It goes against everything I feel like I’m designed for. There’s something so cruel about imagining that for them, physically and spiritually. I prayed. I pleaded. I begged God to not let them die. I tried to think of every verse I’ve memorized regarding Christ and salvation and protection.

It’s not that the sermon touched on something new. In fact, I feel this way rather often. I don’t think I have prayed for them and not mentioned it to God. We attempt to teach them God’s Word so that they can have faith and know Jesus for themselves and to practice wisdom in living. So why was I so overwhelmed by this statement?

I think it’s because I seem to be more aware of the reality of death lately. I manage to think about it every day. Somehow it comes up. I can be telling my son about his grandfathers or taking my pill to help with fertility. I mean the very computer I’m using now, belonged to my Uncle who passed away last April. And that’s just the heaviest personal stuff. While scrolling through Facebook or having conversations, I’m learning about friends losing their spouses or parents, having miscarriages, or even just trying to extend life by eating better or exercising because they want to see their grandchildren grow up and they feel the effects of aging. My husband and I are listening to young men grapple with their friends’ lives being taken and their Mommas worrying about losing them on the streets. The news is filled with war, sickness, and crime. I just can’t seem to escape it.  And you know, I even feel the need to apologize to you for being heavy or depressing. I want to change the subject or make a joke to lighten things up. I don't even want to post this and seem sad.

But something is telling me not to give in to that. Instead, I will just let that sit. I’m going to take a breath, and acknowledge that this world is full of pain and tears and death. Ignoring it won’t help. Making light of it won’t either. But feeling it. Owning up it. That has promise.

Because just like that teacher was saying, I need to remember that I need a Savior and so does everyone else. What good is it to hear that, when I don’t really believe I need to be saved from anything? Boy, am I glad someone told me about him! People took the time to teach me where to find hope in the brokenness that was so obvious in my life. I wasn't even aware of how much hurt was to come. And you know, I don’t always weep. Time does allow for healing and surrendering to the fact that I’m not in control.

“But the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” Yes. Amen. I’m in. Bring on the eternal life. That gives me freedom from despair. It gives hope and purpose to keep on living. Living full of joy.

Death is heavy. It’s final and sad and here because of sin. So I won’t just accept it or deal with it. I’m going to cling to the One who promises life. Death, along with sin, has been defeated. And God is gracious enough to show us that here too. I’ve gotten to see cancer leave, families being restored because of forgiveness, addictions no longer controlling a person’s life, crippling fear being replaced with courage, children being born into families who weren't sure it'd ever happen. How exciting it will be when there will be no more goodbyes! Go ahead a read 1 Corinthians 15 and let yourself hope even in the brokenness. And tell someone else about it because that’s news worth hearing.


No comments: