Heading picture

Heading picture

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Open Your Eyes



The Fall has brought a new and exciting opportunity into our lives.  I have taken on a 9th grade Math teaching position at Moss Preparatory. It is one block away from the church.  In taking this job our hope and prayer was that this would be another way that we could meet more youth and their families and continue to build more relationships.  This prayer is already being answered!
                It was the 2nd week of school and I was standing in the hallway with my class, about to head to lunch when a boy from the 7th grade class started up a conversation with me.  As we were talking I took notice of the name on his ID.  I began to use his name as he and I continued to talk, not ever mentioning mine.  As I led my class away from his, he calls out “see ya later Mr. Jason,” with a big smile on his face.  This completely caught me off guard because I was certain this was the 1st time that I had ever met this young man and I don’t go by my first name at school.  I turned and said “how do you know my name?”  He answered, “Remember when you came and shot ball in the projects with us!” 
                I knew exactly what day he was talking about.  I had gone to the housing development to walk around and hand out flyers for the Soccer Clinic we hosted in July and ended up getting into a game with some of the young men.  I went walking that day hoping to meet people, with an agenda to invite them to come to the clinic so we could interact.  That day in itself gave me a glimpse of the importance of making the most of the opportunities in front of us but I couldn’t have imagined this situation.  I asked a couple more questions just trying and see if I couldn’t recall him from that day but I couldn’t.  As the day went on I couldn’t shake this conversation.  Mostly, I felt bad that I did not remember this young man who I had spent an afternoon with.  Now as I see him just about every day I make sure to not only acknowledge him but let him know that I am watching him.
                I tell you all this to say that you never know who is watching you and what type of impact you may have on them.  I know for me, most the time when I’m out meeting new people I tend to have my eyes focused on a certain type of person.  Instead, I need to be listening to My Father and following Him in these relationships.  The struggle in our culture today is to stop and be still instead of just moving forward.  Take some time and listen to the Lord and see where He is moving and join in with Him.
McComb Veazey Soccer Clinic 2014


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting post J. There are some good points to take away from it.